I'll start with the "downs" so that we can end this post on a positive note.
- still recovering from the stomach flu. I had a hard time figuring out what to eat to get my energy back because my stomach still feels so sensitive.
- canceling our original dinner plans with friends- we did so ahead of time because of my being sick.
- at one point I looked in the mirror and felt like I looked even older than 30...it wasn't very nice, but I'm hoping to attribute it to having been sick.
- navigating my way through our disaster of a house all day. I still don't have enough energy to tidy up + it's starting to drive me crazy.
- not getting to eat my birthday cake.
- feeling so awful after dinner that all I wanted to do was lay down and go to sleep.
- Desmond being really fussy and inconsolable for about an hour before bed.
- not having enough time with my husband, the evening went by in a total blur.
- after waking up early both boys fell back to sleep and I got to snooze for an extra 40 minutes.
- a relatively tantrum free day.
- double naps! Kai went down easy (a miracle) and they napped at the same time for 2 hours.
- sweet facebook messages + texts from countless friends + family.
- singing phone calls from my parents and then my grandparents.
- having a living social deal for a coldstone icecream cake. (Those things are EXPENSIVE.) Due to my queasy tummy the whole thing is still in the freezer waiting for me.
- thoughtful gifts from my boys: Ben typed out his version of Desmond's birth story for me (made me cry). Ben + Kai had picked out a necklace with Desmond's birthstone-opal (also made me cry). I already have earring in Kai's birthstone- ruby.
- Malakai making me some "candles" and singing happy birthday (after insisting all day that it was Desmond's birthday, not mama's).
- a free birthday dinner with my little family. both boys did great, it was Desmond's first restaurant experience and he just looked around and then slept.
- snuggling up with Kai to help him fall asleep.
- falling asleep in a warm house, surrounded by the sweet family Ben + I have built.
30 will be a great year!